The power of literacy lies not only in the ability to read and write, but rather in an individual’s capacity to put those skills to work in shaping the course of his or her own life. Genuine literacy involves “reading the word and the world”. At Read-Ability we are educators and literacy specialists dedicated to helping students reach their full potential.
Exposure to well-rounded, home and classroom libraries is essential to getting students books they want to read, books they can read and books that they will read. This process involves many entities including authors, publishers, parents and educators. At Read-ability, we read, review and examine texts across many genres and grade levels all day long. Looking at varied texts and characteristics enables us to provide important information on quality literature that can benefit the end user… Our children and young adults!
- Build units of study by grade, content, theme and levels
- Present professional development workshops on text characteristics, matching books to readers and the importance of balanced literacy (reading, writing, speaking and listening) across the curriculum
- Suggested book lists by theme including the availability teacher resources and materials (ability to purchase)
- Create customized classroom libraries and book rooms
- Plan, organize and create classroom library and curriculum catalogs K-12
- Assign Guided Reading Levels using Fountas and Pinnell text gradient guidelines to front and back list titles
- Align text to instructional standards, including Common Core State Standards and Next Generation Science Standards K-12 using a self-proprietary program
- Write educational descriptions for trade books to be used in data feeds or marketing materials
- Review manuscripts for appropriateness of content, format, target grade level, interest level, language, structure and illustration support.
- Create thought provoking Discussion and Activity Guides for fiction and informational trade books that meet instructional standards (lesson plans, essential questions)
- Conduct informational sessions explaining the leveling process and the importance of matching readers to books; bridging the knowledge gap between publishing and educational shifts and trends
- Presentations on literacy and how to use trade books in the classroom
- Book donations
- Americanize texts from outside the U.S.
- Create marketing and promotional flyers for product
Please send a spreadsheet with ISBN, title, author and series for all consultations.